Mayfair is a vibrant Northeast Philadelphia neighborhood, home to a variety of stores, pubs and restaurants and the proud host of community events all year long. The Civic Association consists of volunteer citizens focused on the betterment of their Community.
Our General meetings are held the 3rd Monday of March, May, September and November and the 4th Monday of January at 7PM at the Mayfair Community Center, St. Vincent St. and Battersby St.
The winners for the 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest are (in no particular order) ....
We don't do a 1st 2nd and 3rd here in Mayfair ... All three are equal winners
Tomorrow (Saturday) starting at 7pm a team will be arriving at each winners home and will be presenting them with prizes, and their Official Lawn Sign's indicating that they are indeed - 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest Winners!
The 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest has been a huge success! We had over 60 homes nominated this year, and well over 1300 page views (and growing) on our Google Map!
The judging for this contest was absolutely brutal because so many of our nominees went all out this year to bring the spirit of Christmas to Mayfair. Each and every one of them did an amazing job of decorating their homes and on behalf of the Mayfair Civic Association we would like to Thank You all for participating!
A Very Very special Thank You to our Mayfair Business Association and it's Members who have donated the prizes for this years contests!
They are: Aztec Signs
Mayfair Shop n Bag
Grey Lodge Pub
Sharon Owens - State Farm
Mike Fitzpatrick - Keller Williams
Mike Perzel Insurance Agency
Bellalisa Hair Studio
They have been extremely generous with their prizes for this contest!
These MBA Members and the rest of the Mayfair Business Association believe in our neighborhood and would like to see our community continue to thrive, and to succeed.
Please show them your support!
It is important to remember that this contest has been a success because we came together as a community, and each and every one of us has participated in one way or another to make it work. NONE of this would have been possible without the homeowners doing an amazing job of decorating their homes, without nominations from our homeowners and neighbors, without our Mayfair Business Association donating the prizes and creating the map, and without the Mayfair Civic Association organizing the event and putting it all together.
Working together as a community, we can continue to shine a positive light on our neighborhood, and we can continue to show that Mayfair is indeed a great place to visit, and an awesome place to live!
The competition is FIERCE in the 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest! So far we've had 60 entries in the contest this year, and driving around Mayfair it looks as though there easily could have been many many more. Our neighbors have outdone themselves this year!
On Friday December 19th we will announce the winners, and on Saturday evening members of the Mayfair Civic Association and the Mayfair Business Association will be delivering prizes donated by Business Association Members to the 3 best decorated houses in Mayfair.
If your home has been nominated for the contest, please remember to keep your decorations lit until at least 11pm as our judges will begin scoring the entries tonight. Also, please make sure that your address is easily visible from the street or your home could be overlooked.
Here is a link to the 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Google Map that was created and maintained by the Mayfair Business Association:
Tis the Season Mayfair - It's time for the 2nd Annual "Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest"! Beginning today, the Mayfair Civic Association working in conjunction with the Mayfair Business Association will be awarding prizes and custom lawn signs to the 3 best decorated houses in...
The Mayfair Community Development Center has taken the time to list the homes in a driving order (below), so grab the map, grab the list, and take your family on a tour of Mayfair and enjoy 2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest for yourselves!
Hosted by Mayfair CDC, Mayfair Business Association and Mayfair Civic Association Sponsored by Republic Bank and Allegheny Iron and Metal Corp
Vendors for Christmas Village – Dec. 7, 2014
1. Jaelyn’s Lil Bit of Everything 2. The Flying Deutschman 3. Underground Donuts 4. Tony the Hot Dog Guy 5. Grey Lodge Pub 6. Holmesburg Bakery 7. Haegele’s Bakery 8. Republic Bank [serving Hot Chocolate for Tree Lighting]
1. Kathy’s Kanine Kreations 2. Tastefully Simple by Nancy Jones 3. Nan’s Cards, Invitations & More 4. Origami Owl by Holly Vile 5. Steel Your Idea 6. She’s Crafty 7. Christina Miletto 8. Squirrel Designs 9. The Inkwell 215 10. Stephen Cartledge 11. D & N Novelties 12. Hats/Headbands/Scarfs by Rose 13. Beautiful Oak 14. TAC Gear (Tacony Gear) 15. Mayfair CDC 16. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service 17. Nicole’s Crafty Creations 18. Mayfair Civic and Business Association 19. The Tinkerchicks 20. Three Mom’s Candles 21. Anthony – I Love Beef Bones 22. NYC Designs by Sandy 23. Melissa DeGroot - Ava Anderson Skin Products 24. Colleen Katen – Treasure Boxes and Holiday Florals 25. Mary Tobin – Crafts, Wreaths & Garlands 26. Queen Elsa 27. Santa Claus
Music 28. Mike McCullough 29. Trish Paffen 30. St Huberts Choir
Misc. 31. Toys for Tots Collected by Avenue Chiropractic.
Lately we've been getting quite few people asking - "What is going on at Princeton and Frankford?"
The answer - A lot!
The Streets Department has done a study and they have determined that the Princeton and Frankford intersection is one of the most dangerous ones in the city because of the way that it is angled. It makes pedestrians hard to see, and they also wanted to slow cars down as they travel through the intersection. As a result, they have come up with and are currently implementing a new solution.
To start, they have extended the intersection on the northeast corner (in front of the Plaza) and they have included a "bump out" as I call it. Doing this will slow drivers down as they are making a right hand turn onto Frankford avenue. They also bumped out the southeast corner for the same reason.
Where things get really interesting is on the northwest corner (at the Ortho office). That corner will be pushed way out into Princeton avenue out and squared off.
The southwest corner will remain similar to what it is.
Where things get interesting is that pedestrians will no longer be able to cross Frankford avenue from the southeast corner (Steins) to the southwest corner (Dentist office). Because of the extended curb at the northwest corner (Ortho), pedestrians will now cross from Steins, to tat corner.
Since I'm sure all of that is somewhat confusing, I drew out some pictures to hopefully explain it better.
Picture #1 is Before Picture #2 is After
The diagonal lines in both pictures are the crosswalks (picture #2 also includes check marks where the old curb lines are / were)
Things will definitely be different at that intersection for sure, but I think the solutions to the problems are good ones.
- Shortly after we begin to receive nominations, we will create a Google Map so that people living in Mayfair as well as people visiting Mayfair can drive around and check out the entries for themselves ... How cool is that?!?
(As a courtesy to our neighbors living in surrounding neighborhoods, even though they will not be eligible to win the contest, we will be more than happy to include their homes on our map as well - The more the Merrier!)
- Beginning on December 17th, 12 Judges will score each entry on a scale of 1-12, with a 1 being the equivalent of a window cling, and a 12 being a full blown Clark Griswold Christmas Extravaganza!
- Here in Mayfair we do not do "1st, 2nd, 3rd", we simply award the Top 3 equally
- On Saturday December 20th the winner will be announced, and sometime that evening members from the Mayfair Civic Association as well as the Mayfair Business Association will visit each winners home to award them with their custom lawn sign indicating that they are indeed "2014 Mayfair Christmas Decoration Contest Winners" along with other prizes donated by members of the Mayfair Business Association.
It's simple to do - It's fun to do - And it is another great event happening right here in Mayfair!
This contest is a team effort, and without the work of the Mayfair Civic Association, the Mayfair Business Association, and our neighbors living right here in Mayfair who go all out during the Christmas season, none of this would not be possible. PROPS to you all! Together we can ensure that Mayfair continues to be a Great Place to Visit, and an Awesome Place to Live!