Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012
Ms. Lynette Brown-Sow
Zoning Board of Adjustment • Municipal Services Building
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19102
Re: Use Variance at 2901 Princeton Avenue (thru to Saint Vincent, Hawthorne, & Brous Streets)
Cal. No.: 17486 Appl. No.: 385313 Applicant & Attorney: Anthony P. Forte, Esq. (Saul, Ewing LLP)
Owner: School District of Philadelphia (SDOP), William Fox, Jr.; Director Zon. Class.: R-5 Residential
Dear Ms. Brown-Sow:
Please accept this letter on behalf of the Mayfair Civic Association (“MCA”) which represents the neighbors of the Mayfair Community. In reviewing the Zoning Board of Adjustment’s Notice, the Applicant/Owner proposes:
“Permit for the Erection of a One (1) Story Temporary Mobile Classroom Trailer (12’ Wide x 56’ Long) to an Existing Public School Campus with Existing School Building. Accessory Parking and Three (3) Existing Free Standing Classroom Trailers (No Permits on File for Two (2))”
We DO NOT OPPOSE this Variance, with ALL of the Following Provisos.
1. Powerwash and Clean with Cleaning Agents, the Existing Three (3) Classroom Trailers. Repair any Dents, Damage, and Loose Exterior Structural and Siding Components. Re-Paint All Four (4) Trailers to Match. Based on information gathered at our Civic Zoning Hearing, the Fourth (4)/Proposed Classroom Trailer will be “Used”, rather than New.
2. Powerwash and Clean with the Appropriate Solvents, the Timber Access Stairs at each Trailer. The existing stairs and landing are very weathered. Stain and Seal, all Four (4) Sets, the Existing Three (3), and the Proposed One (1).
3. Reassess the Current Lighting at the Area of the Trailers’ Placement, and provide adequate Lighting as necessary to deter Vandalism, Loitering, and Illicit Activity; detrimental to the Health of the Mayfair Community.
4. Powerwash and Clean with Cleaning Agents, the Existing Playground, along the Princeton Avenue Property Line, east of Battersby Street. This Same Playground is in desperate need of Repairs. Repair and Replace any and all Broken, Damaged, or Missing Components of the Playground; including but not limited to, the Play Equipment, all Ground Surfaces (including Matting), Fencing, and Masonry Walls.
5. Develop Conceptual Plans with the Mayfair Civic Association, and our respective Playgrounds Committee, on making Improvements and Additions to this same playground, on School grounds.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the numbers below.
Very Truly Yours,
Joseph J. DeFelice, Esq. Peter J. McDermott
President Secretary/Zoning Chair.
(215) 292-3926 (267) 767-0049
cc: Suzanne St. Marie, Mayfair Community Development Corporation
Lisa M. Deeley, Councilman Bobby Henon
Michael Scotese, Mayfair Business Association
Jamie Spagna, School District of Philadelphia