Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Father Judge High School
Sunday 10/2/11 9:00 AM
Registration starting at 7:30 Father Judge schoolyard
Contact Dennis 215-333-7648 or Crusaderclassic@comcast.net
Friday, August 26, 2011
Begin forwarded message:
Tomorrow there is a beef and beer benefit for Michael Strange at McNoodles Pub. If anyone is interested in donating gift cert, basket etc for the raffle you can drop it off to Doug who will be at McNoodles between 5:30 and 6:30 this evening. If that is not applicable you can also drop it off at BellaLisa hair studio before 6:30 pm. I apologize for the late notice I just received this information as well!LISA--
MH PARADE COMMITTEE
3530 COTTMAN AVE
PHILA PA 19149
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Mayfair Business Association" group.
To post to this group, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to email@example.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mayfairbiz?hl=en.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
FRIENDS OF MAYFAIR MEMORIAL PLAYGROUND
C/O THE MAYFAIR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
To: The School reform Commission
From: Joseph J. DeFelice, Esq., President Mayfair Civic Association
Re: $80,000 Grant from Kaboom, Inc. to the School District of Philadelphia
Thank you for having us today; let us speak briefly on this topic:
1. The Friends of Mayfair Memorial Playground (“the Friends”) was founded in April 2008 for the purpose of rebuilding the Mayfair Memorial Playground (“the Playground”) after it was abruptly removed.
2. The Friends are a branch of the Mayfair Community Development Corporation (“CDC”) of which I am a Board Member and the Mayfair Civic Association (“MCA”) of which I am the President.
3. We have currently raised $23,000 from mostly neighborhood residents via door to door solicitation, our Easter Egg Hunt which brought in over $6,000, two beef n beer fundraisers, our Annual Mayfair Fallen Heroes Run honoring Police and ire that succumbed in the line of duty, and many other efforts.
4. This Playground is necessary to our community because there are no other playgrounds solely for small children (read under the age of 7) in the nearby community nor are there any playgrounds within walking distance that does not require one to cross a four lane highway (specifically Cottman Ave. and Frankford Ave.).
5. Our goal is to build a playground that can be used by all children, including those with special needs. On our Board, we have included Cyndi Hinchey, who runs the Holy STARS program which is a sports and social program dedicated to children with special needs.
6. We have set up our organization to last in perpetuity which seems to be why the last group did not fair well. Our organization has a structure that includes recruiting a minimum of two parents with a newborn to 2 year old child every year so that we may last even after our children are too old to play in that space.
7. We have also set up a system within our board for maintenance as well as securing the playground in off hours.
8. The community and businesses (through the Mayfair Business Association) has truly rallied around our efforts as have our local elected leaders. This project has made our organization tighter and our neighborhood stronger.
9. Therefore, we respectfully ask that you approve this gift and help continue to make Mayfair and our surrounding neighborhoods a great place to live, work and play.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Wednesday, August 24 · 2:00pm - 5:00pm
School District of Philadelphia
440 N. Broad Street 2nd Floor
|For||Rebuild Mayfair Memorial Playground (at Lincoln High School)|
Updated 8-13-11 The SCR Meeting has been changed to August 24th
Please come and support the Friends of Mayfair Memorial Playground, the Mayfair Civic Association and the Mayfair CDC as we go before the School District of Philadelphia and the School Reform Commission (SRC). It is at this meeting where a vote will be taken whether or not to approve a gift from Kaboom to the School District so that we may get a letter of permission to build. Should this permission be granted, we will host a design day roughly a week after followed by a Build Day to occur the last week of October.
This will be the largest step taken in our efforts to rebuild the Mayfair Memorial Playground!
Friday, August 12, 2011
Milt Martleack, a member of the Mayfair Civic Association and Mayfair Holmesburg Tacony Town Watch, was awarded Town Watch Member of the Month. Milt asks those that are interested to get involved in the neighborhood! Congrats Milt!
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 06:50:24 -0700
--- Elsie Stevens wrote:
PHILADELPHIA - August 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have released a sketch of suspected rapist. Please visit media site at: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/crime&id=8300529 to view police sketch.
PHILADELPHIA POLICE DEPARTMENT
Wanted for Rape
Age: 25-35 yrs.
Height: Approx. 5’9”
Other: Reddish/brown close-cut hair; close cut mustache and beard
On Wednesday 8-3-11 at approximately 2:30 AM a 24 y/o female complainant was at Torresdale & Longshore Aves. when she accepted a ride from an unknown white male operating a newer model white pick-up truck with a ladder and ladder racks. The male drove to 8100 Cresco Ave. where he forced her into a wooded area; there, he physically and sexually assaulted the complainant.
***On Friday, 7-16-10, 2:30 AM, a 26 y/o female complainant reported a physical assault under similar circumstances at 8000 Cresco Ave., involving a male/vehicle similarly described.
Anyone with information contact SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT at: 215-685-3251/3252
Assigned: Det. Owens # 701, SIU DC#11-08-031794; SVU#11-3233
Shutterfly Share is an online sharing service that lets you connect, communicate, and share photos and memories with your friends, family, and community groups through your own, personalized Web site. Learn more about Shutterfly Share and sign up for your own free sharing Web site.
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Holmesburg Civic Association
Executive Board Position Statement
(The Mayfair Civic’s boundaries are west of Frankford Ave, south of Sheffield. The Tacony Civic is east of Frankford Ave, south of Cottman Ave. The Holmesburg Civic’s current boundaries are north of Sheffield on both sides of Frankford Ave from the Delaware River to Pennypack Creek.)
The Executive Board of the Holmesburg Civic voted at a separate meeting a couple of nights later to expand the HCA boundaries to Cottman Ave east of Frankford Ave. The general membership of the HCA was advised of that decision at the June 14 general meeting, the last before the summer break....READ MORE HERE
Friday, August 05, 2011
Joseph J DeFelice, Esq.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry