July 21, 2011
In regards to: The Healing Way, INC 7900 Frankford Ave.
Senator Pat Toomey
Attention: James Fitzpatrick
Dear Senator Toomey,
This letter is to serve as notification to you of Holme Circle Civic Association’s strong and well founded opposition to the opening of a methadone clinic at
Reasons for our opposition to this are listed below:
• The location is 100% unsuitable for a methadone clinic. There is a daycare, two (2) churches and two (2) schools all within 200 yards of the proposed location. The daycare and church are right across the street.
• The clientele are drug addicts, and untrustworthy. The assumption is that the adjacent residents and businesses will not trust these addicts. There is a strong possibility of increased burglary, robberies, and theft and frankly the Northeast cannot afford to take these risks. Will the 15th districts receive additional officers?
• The majority of drug addicts are smokers, and as you are prohibited to smoke indoors, the individuals will be smoking outside which will result in littering and an intimidation factor to business patrons and neighbors.
• A methadone clinic will attract drug dealers to the neighborhood because they will know exactly where to find the buyers. Drug dealing may actually be a direct result of the clinic. It has been documented in numerous cases that users obtain the methadone from the clinic only to turn around and sell it on the street.
• Property Value. In addition to the aforementioned reasons, the property value of the surrounding area will decline because home buyers and business patrons will simply choose to move to an area without a methadone clinic.
The Northeast is slowly changing, and not for the better. I am imploring your assistance to help maintain what dignity the Northeast has left.
Holme Circle Civic Association
cc: Seth Kaplan, Chief of Staff, State Representative Kevin Boyle
cc: Joe DeFelice, Mayfair Civic Association
cc: Mike Scotese, Mayfair Business Association
cc: Sue St Marie, Mayfair CDC
cc: Matt Gabor,
cc: Stan Cywnski,
cc: Elmer Money,
cc: Mary Benusi, Tacony Civic Association