October 6, 2009
Susan Jaffee, Chairperson
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Municipal Services Building
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Phila PA 19102
Re: Zoning Application:
3505 Cottman Avenue
Applicant: Neelam Bhardwaj
Owner: Neelam Bhardwaj
To Whom It May Concern:
Please accept this letter as a proviso letter re the above on behalf of the Mayfair Business Association (“MBA”) and Mayfair Civic Association (“MCA”). We \have now had two opportunities to meet with the above owners and with the owners of neighbor, Party Time Deli. At first we were inclined to deny any request by the above for any type of variance as we felt they were pleading ignorance with respect to the type of business they were running. We felt they we were not entirely on the same page with the owners and even felt a bit troubled with some of what we had been hearing in the neighborhood. Nevertheless, we took it upon ourselves to schedule another meeting to clear the air.
We met last evening, October 5, 2009 at the John Perzel Community Center. Attendees included me; Mike Scotese, President of the MBA; the above and representatives from Party Time Deli. Several issues arose such as the selling of drug paraphernalia, selling cigarettes and tobacco products below the state minimum, intentionally undercutting the business of Party Time and lack of a concise business plan. The debate was spirited at times and accusations of who is a liar were made. Nevertheless, the group seemed pleased that the above own the building and will be living the in the attached building once the current leases expire. Therefore, the MCA and MBA will agree to a variance for takeout coffee if the following conditions are met:
- They will join and become active members of the MBA
- They come before the MBA and MCA if they plan to request any more permits for their business.
- They refrain from selling groceries
- They refrain from selling meats and cheeses
- They have Branded signage i.e. Neelam’s Coffee not just “Coffee”
- The beautify the property with either shrubbery or planted flowers
- They limit signage to business name and standard coffee shop operations.
- They refrain from selling any drug paraphernalia and/or blunts, rolling papers, pipes, etc.
- They sell no products below the state minimum including cigarettes.
- Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Joseph J. DeFelice, Esq.