November 8, 2009
Susan Jaffee, Chairperson
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Municipal Services Building
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Phila PA 19102
Re: Zoning Application:
Gallery Home Stores
Corner of Frankford and Cottman Aves.
To Whom It May Concern:
Please accept this letter as a denial letter re the above on behalf of the Mayfair Business Association (“MBA”) and Mayfair Civic Association (“MCA”). We had an opportunity to meet with the above owner, its real estate agent, its attorney and with members of the above as well as several neighbors and business owners in the community. When the above owner and his representatives first presented their case, the MBA and MCA appeared to be poised to grant its approval in their favor. However, after a surprise site check and numerous opportunities to research this business following our meeting, the MCA and MBA feel that approval is not appropriate at this time due to the following:
- Significant lack of parking at the establishment
- The MBA and MCA felt it was misled as to the type of business the above would be i.e. they likened their business to a Jennifer Convertible or a Raymour and Flanagan dealing with sales when it actually appears to be more of the type of a Rent A Center dealing almost exclusively with rental furniture see www.galleryhomestore.com.
- The proximity of an existing Rent A Center on the same commercial block shows an oversaturation of this type of business on this commercial corridor.
- The MBA and MCA felt it was misled as to the type of parking located behind the building i.e. in order to access the “six parking spots” one would have to enter a residential driveway due to the appearance of concrete pillars blocking the commercial drive.
- Their practice viewed atleast twice this past week, of illegally parking on the sidewalk adjacent to the store is unacceptable.
- The listing on its website that this location already exists before gaining acceptance from the community shows a level of arrogance not acceptable for this body.
- The statement that this business already operates several stores in Brooklyn as well as PA is an untruth.
- We recently made a phone call to their Pottstown branch and inquired as to how much a computer listed on the website was and the immediate response was the rental price.
Therefore, until the above is rectified and the community feels that this business can be truthful with them, the MCA and MBA cannot approve the Zoning petition at this time. Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Joseph J. DeFelice, Esq.